9/24/2009

Getting off the couch...

Posted by Sonja |

I am noticing a pattern in my life. I tend to do things evenly, in round, graspable numbers or units. Maybe it’s that I like how easy it is to keep track of the goals in my life when their due date comes in a nice, neat little package. Maybe it’s that I like the simplicity of a basic unit of time. Maybe… it’s just that I’m simple.

Here are recent goals to date:

July 9, 2007 - Make it to the one-year mark at my new job. June 18, 2008 – DONE.

June 18, 2008 - Make it to the two-year mark at my job. June 18, 2009 – Also Done!

June 19, 2009 – Last day at my job. I resigned in May, giving one day after my two-year anniversary as my final time spent at the office. Ok, so… not quite a round, even amount of time. But close enough. Plus, like a note in a piece of music that seems just a wee bit off but that also adds a sense of humour or interest to the piece, this one extra day just gives a bit more spice to my story. I like that it keeps it from being too balanced. Just more in keeping, overall, with... well... me.

March 24, 2009 – Tell the man I’d been falling in love with (or close to it, I think?) that we couldn’t have any contact for six months. This after he’d said he didn’t feel enough to continue the relationship in a romantic way. But -- insert the “F” word here -- “We could still be friends.”

September 24, 2009 ... Today ... Six months have gone by without one email, letter or conversation. And now that we’ve reached that mark, I don’t know if I would want to go back to the way it was. All I can say is, resetting is good.

And there have been other goals, of course. Lose weight by Christmas. Lose weight by my birthday. Get married by 30. blah blah blah. Some goals I’ve reached. Some not.

But at least I could take satisfaction in knowing each one had a nice, round end date to them.

So now, I’ve got another goal. 30 days without TV.

Has it been done before? Yep… and undoubtedly by people with far more interesting things to do to fill up the excess time than I have on my “to do” list.

Does that make it any less worthwhile for me to try? Nope.

Amongst all the blogs out there, do I think anyone will care about this little one? Who knows! But in another life I wrote and got paid for it. And now it’s been a good long time since I’ve written anything. So… I’m exercising a muscle. I’m putting my goal out there so those of you who strangely stumble upon my writings and decide to follow along can whack me over the head if I give in to temptation.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I must confess that I only started my month-long TV fast at about 1 pm today. But, does it count that I only had the ladies of The View on in the background? And I barely listened to the noon news!

OK, so I’m starting off with a half day of freedom from the tube. I’ll end with a half day on Oct. 24th. Or maybe a full day if this whole no TV thing sticks.

I’m eager to see what I can do to fill up all that extra time! Any suggestions?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe